Sunday, May 6, 2007

ARE YOU A GAMBLER?


Did you know that only six months after President Bush signed a law outlawing online gambling, a key democratic politician has proposed lifting the ban? New to you? Reading this article of Declan McCullagh, Staff Writer of CNET’s News.com, impressed me.

You see, I always thought that gambling was something funny. So when I started to hear that more than a few people had developed a dependence, I was really upset. First, and maybe I’m pushing my luck here, it seems to me like some kind of attention problem more than anything else. Also, in my point of view, it’s very hard to understand something like that. Who could be addicted to such a thing? Not my mother, she doesn’t play cards and surely doesn’t know how to use a poker machine. I would never put a quarter, not even a penny in such machines when there’s more chance that you might not have it back. It’s a machine. What kind of fun could you have gambling with a machine? Please tell me someone.

Regulations on online gambling are supposed to help people with that kind of problem. Wake up! It says in that article that the U.S. ban on gambling violates international trade rules. So you don’t have to think twice to realize that if you have a problem, don’t rely on anyone but yourself to fix it because no one else will. Now for those who like to play cards, go buy yourself six-pack, and go home with a few friends and play poker like the real thing. Have fun!

JC

No comments: